Courtney's Fall break at McGavock and Kelsey's Fall break from Union overlapped some last week and we were able to take advantage of that and do some camping. We all went to Cedars of Lebanon State Park on Wednesday, October 10th and got our tent setup and took a majority of our supplies, but Jenn and Courtney went home since the low for the night was supposed to be 33. Kelsey and I picked up supper in Lebanon, started a fire, then ate, setup our beds, and watched a movie on her laptop around the campfire. It got pretty cold once we let the fire burn out, but we had a small heater in the tent and stayed warm through the night.
On Thursday, Kelsey and I went for a run, ate breakfast, setup our screen house over our picnic table, hung a hammock, threw softball, ate lunch, and Kelsey even studied and did some homework while waiting on Jenn and Courtney to get there. They brought the remainder of the supplies and the food for the week. Kelsey and Courtney rode bikes to the playground and took lots of pictures there, while Jenn and I unpacked and finished setting up our campsite. We ate supper and then watched a movie around the campfire and roasted marshmallows. I had sold 3 of my 4 tickets to the Titans game against the Steelers, but had not decided on whether or not to go to the game. I decided to NOT go to the game, but I did sneak some updates on my radio while watching the movie. Jennifer said that the Titans won because I chose family over the game. :-) We were expecting rain, so I had put some tarps over our firewood and cart we used for our stove. It came a downpour early Friday morning and there was a lot of thunder and lightning. We awoke to some leaks in the tent, but it was only around the edges and we were dry.
Since it was wet Friday morning, the playground was not a great option, so after breakfast, we went to the riding stables at the park and went on a guided walking trail horseback ride. We got to look at the horses in the stable and the girls loved that. After lunch, we played card games and then had an early supper with some special guests. Peggy and Glen came up to eat with us and spend a little time with the girls. We roasted hot dogs over the fire, had homemade chili, and then roasted marshmallows and made smores.
Saturday morning, Kelsey had to head back to Jackson to spend some time with friends before babysitting that night. After breakfast, Courtney went for a bike ride, we played more card games and a version of cornhole. Robin came by to visit for awhile, and after she left, we had hot dogs and chili again for supper, and then made smores. Courtney was tired, so she laid down early and watched a movie in the tent. Jennifer and I played cards, while I listened to the end of the Vandy game and then the UT game. Needless to say, I was not as happy about the outcome of that game as I was the Titans game.
We were expecting rain and possible storms sometime on Sunday, so after breakfast, we began taking down the tents and packing the vehicles to head home. The wind got a little rough for awhile, but we didn't get any rain while packing. We picked up lunch on the way home and then started the worst part of camping trips (unpacking the cars and washing all of the smoky clothes). I think all of the clothes have been washed and we are working on the sleeping bags and spraying Febreeze on all the bags still.
It was a great trip and I loved spending that time with my girls. I am so lucky to have 3 girls that love camping as much as I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment