Monday, October 22, 2012

Courtney Update - Monday, October 22nd

Well this week is one that I have so many mixed emotions about.  While I am concerned over Courtney's heart valve replacement on Wednesday, I am excited about the possibility of it being done without open heart surgery. 

For those of you that have known me for a long time, you understand my passion for raising money for the American Heart Association.  I have prayed for years that the money being raised would benefit heart research that would lead to new and advanced procedures.  Now, 4 1/2 years after her last heart surgery, we face the possibility of her valve being replaced through a catheterization procedure.  If the procedure goes as planned, they will replace the valve, we will spend the night for observation, and then come home on Thursday.  She would be back in school on Monday and only miss 3 days of school.

However, if they are not able to do the procedure and there are no complications, we will schedule the open heart surgery for a date later in the year.  If there are complications and they have to do the open heart surgery right away, she will be out of school for quite awhile during her recovery.  We are obviously praying that the procedure goes as planned, but we have learned to prepare ourselves for the long haul and pray for the best results for her.

We have had numerous people ask for updates, so this is the best way to give everyone the same information in the most expeditious way.  Many who read this blog have been doing so for years and we thank you for your concern and your kind words in your comments.  For those of you who are new to this blog, there is the option to leave comments below if you like.  I will update frequently throughout the day on Wednesday and Thursday as we are updated by the doctors or staff.

Thank you everyone for your prayer support for Courtney, her doctors and staff, for Jennifer, Kelsey, and I, and our entire family.  We have great family support and appreciate them very much.  Remember to pray for Kelsey as she drives in from Jackson on Tuesday night and for any other family members that may be travelling.

No comments: