Thursday, October 25, 2012

Courtney Update - Thursday, October 25th

7:00 AM - Courtney slept well during the night, despite the numerous visits by the nurses checking on her.  It has been a busy morning already also.  One of the doctors came in and changed out her bandages on her leg and neck, then they came in and did an echo on her heart.  The doctor who did the procedure has been in to check on her and is still very pleased with her progress.  We are preparing to go down to get an x-ray and she is asking for breakfast.  Thus far everything is still on schedule to go home early today.

10:00 AM - We had the x-ray and everyone has eaten breakfast.  Courtney is watching videos on TV and we are still awaiting orders for going home.  I will update again once we hear anything new.

12:00 PM - We went down to the Children's Hospital stage on the 2nd floor at 10:30 and watched Woodland Middle School perform their rendition of "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown".  When we got back, we had discharge orders ready for us.  The hospital provided lunch for families here in the hospital at the Ronald McDonald room, so we picked up lunch and are leaving as soon as we finish eating and get packed.  Courtney is doing well, but still has a little rash that we are treating with Benadryl.  Thank you for your prayer support.  I will update more from home over the next few days.



1:00 PM - WE ARE HOME!!!!  For 15 years I have been raising money for the AHA and I have lifted up many prayers asking for advancement in technology to allow a non-invasive valve replacement.   Never during that time did I imagine that I would be sitting here in front of my computer in the office at home 37 hours after we left yesterday morning to have Courtney's heart valve replaced.

You cannot begin to understand how surreal it is to have her home right now.  We have gone in for an outpatient procedure before and ended up spending 5 weeks in the PICU because of complications that arose.  We have spent several weeks at Vandy after a heart valve replacement that required open heart surgery.  Now, we are at home the next day after replacing a valve and Courtney's only real limitation is not to do any heavy lifting for one week.  The doctor says she can go to school on Monday and also be able to bowl on Monday.  I can say nothing greater than GOD IS GOOD.  We are so thankful that He is watching over Courtney and blesses us each day with her presence.  We are
also thankful to have a hospital like the Monroe Carell Jr Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt and for doctors like Dr. Doyle who take such great interest and care in providing medical assistance to so many children in this area.  I hope that none of you reading this post ever need this type of care, but if you do, I hope you have a hospital like this to care for you.

No comments: