Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Losing a Loved One is Never Easy

On Friday, March 28th my Dad's brother Clyde passed away. He was 70 years old and had been in poor health for a while, but we are never quite ready to accept that he is no longer with us. He lived in Dalton, GA and ran a grocery store for the latter years of his life. His daughter, Aelana, has been working with him for many years and will now take over the store for him.


I didn't get to see him very much over the last 11 years or so due to Courtney's health conditions and our limited ability to travel. However, I would always get to see them around Christmas for the Queen family dinner and a few times over the 4th of July holiday. Kelsey still remembers the time we went down and she got to ride four wheelers in the back yard.

When I learned that his health was deteriorating quickly, I really started thinking about the fact that I didn't get to see him this year for Christmas. With Courtney being in the hospital for her surgery, we had scheduled the dinner for a different day and then it ended up being cancelled for the first time that I can remember due to illness in the family.

I also started thinking back to my childhood days and our visits. Clyde didn't say a whole lot, but when he did, it was something humorous or something you would remember. I will always remember the smile on his face and the fact that he would give you the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it. I remember many fun times at his house during the summer, at New Years' Eve get togethers and birthday parties. It really brought back a lot of memories looking at old pictures and being back in the house again.

Courtney spent the night with Jessica again on Saturday night so that Jennifer & Kelsey could go with me. We just weren't quite ready to have Courtney at a funeral just yet. In fact, this was Kelsey's first funeral. She has been to several visitations, but this was the first funeral. The service was real emotional for all of us. Since Clyde had been in the service, they presented Aileen with a flag that had been draped over his coffin and then they released several doves after the ceremony.

Please keep Aunt Aileen, Aelana, Kelly, Will and their families in your thoughts and prayers. Also remember my Dad and his 2 sisters (Barbara & Bernice) . They also lost a younger brother in 2006 and I know they would appreciate your prayers also.

No comments: